With over 30,000 new cases diagnosed each year, oral cancer has become the sixth deadliest cancer in the world. In fact, oral cancer claims the life of one American every hour. At McGue Dental Care we take this issue very seriously and strive to provide the best detection and prevention methods possible.
The signs of oral cancer
• A red, white, or discolored patch or lump in or around your mouth
• A sore that bleeds easily or that does not heal within 2 weeks
• An area that has thickened, raised, or become hardened
• A rough patch or tissue
• Difficulty chewing or swallowing
• A chronic sore throat or hoarseness
Oral Cancer Exam
During the exam, Dr. McGue feels for lumps or abnormal tissue changes on your neck and inside your mouth.
He thoroughly examines the soft tissues in your mouth, especially the most frequent oral cancer sites:
• Your tongue
• The floor of your mouth
• Your soft palate
• Your lips
• Your gums
Oral Cancer is a serious health risk and should not be taken lightly. Early detection is key to prevention, so please don’t hesitate to schedule an exam, including full oral cancer screening today.